Work for the Regional Animal Protection Society
If you feel like you have something unique to offer RAPS, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS INITIATIVES
VETERINARY OFFICE RECEPTIONIST
Director of Business Initiatives
The Director of Business Initiatives will have the opportunity to help create this position and grow RAPS. This is a new role that can be shaped to fit the skills and interests of the person taking it on. As with any not-for-profit, there is no shortage of work to be done. RAPS is an innovative and entrepreneurial organization, and we encourage dialogue, collaboration, and creative solutions.
The Director of Business Initiatives is a key member of the management team. This position holds the responsibility of identifying new business initiatives, implementing, and overseeing external revenue programs (both on- and off-line), in order to meet sales targets for all departments of RAPS. This position also oversees, in coordination with the Director of Development, all community outreach events and networking activities to maximize revenue opportunities for RAPS.
RAPS is a registered charity that also operates the RAPS Cat Sanctuary, the RAPS Adoption & Education Centre, two Thrift Stores and the RAPS Animal Hospital. We are a no-kill, animal serving agency.
- Work with the senior management to nurture long-lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with existing corporate sponsors.
- Develop and implement strategies to grow the RAPS’ revenue streams through identifying and cultivating new corporate partnerships.
- Identify income potential and implement revenue generating programs to meet sales targets for RAPS Cat Sanctuary, including establishing the Cat Sanctuary as a tourist destination, adding special events and tours, expand merchandise sales, and identifying corporate sponsorship opportunities.
- Assist senior management with expanding awareness of the RAPS Animal Hospital to expand the existing client base through special promotions and relationship building with external stakeholders.
- Work with the Director of Development to identify and promote corporate sponsorship recognition opportunities at the RAPS Cat Sanctuary and the RAPS Animal Hospital.
- Work with the Director of Development to increase corporate in-kind donations to the Cat Sanctuary, and other RAPS departments.
- Assist senior management to implement programs to expand client base for Hyberbaric Oxygen Therapy treatments (HBOT) at the RAPS Animal Hospital.
- Identify and develop new markets and clients that align with RAPS’ mission and goals.
- Identify cost-effective strategies to increase revenue streams.
- Monitor trends and the competitive landscape to identify other opportunities for growth.
- Attend relevant in person and virtual networking events to build relationships and generate leads.
- Prepare and present reports to senior management on progress.
- Oversee RAPS’ events, in coordination the Director of Development, through marketing and public relations activities (both onsite and offsite), to maximize potential revenue opportunities, including events on weekdays, weekends and evenings as required (in lieu of additional time off).
- Manage logistics in preparation for events including set up of displays and presentations, as well as maintain the professional appearance of the event site.
- Maintain client and vendor relationships and serve as point of contact on day-of-event, as assigned.
Online and Offline Sales:
- Oversee all existing online and offline sales channels, as well as identify, promote and sell products through new channels.
- Coordinate with all RAPS managers to optimize sales performance (ie. RAPS merchandise, thrift stores, myVetStore.ca);
- Research, develop and implement innovative ideas to maximize online and offline revenue and client engagement activities through the development of promotional strategies.
- Achieve agreed upon sales targets and outcomes within set schedules as determined by senior management.
- Establish, develop and maintain positive business and customer relationships via email, social media and phone at all times.
- Reach out to corporate sponsorship and client leads through outbound cold calls, warm calls and emails.
- Expedite the resolution of customer issues and complaints for satisfactory resolutions.
- Manage sales reporting, track and analyze results and present sales activity reports to management as requested.
- Assist with answering and directing phone calls.
- Assist with data entry and other administrative tasks, as assigned.
- Promote a team-oriented work environment; work collaboratively and positively with all RAPS; internal and external constituents – including RAPS staff, volunteers, suppliers, contractors, donors –whether they are online or offline supporters of the organization.
- Assist in creating and maintaining an exceptional and enviable workplace culture.
- Responsible for providing the highest standard of customer and client care.
- Duty of care to represent RAPS and always conduct oneself professionally and responsibly.
- Interruptions are an expected part of the work, and re-prioritization and/or rescheduling of tasks is required for work completion.
- Assist with all work-related requests from senior management in the interest of RAPS’ overall operations outside these job description requirements.
- Perform any reassignment of duties required based on the business requirements of RAPS.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Be passionate about animals and familiar with, and sympathetic to, the goals and mission of the Regional Animal Protection Society.
- Follow and uphold RAPS policies and protocols and complete all tasks to a high standard.
- Be highly motivated, have a “get it done” attitude and radiate team spirit.
- Be a motivated self-starter who is both competitive and results driven.
- Possess strong instincts and corporate maturity.
- Possess strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Have exceptional interpersonal and relationship skills.
Judgement, Authority & Decision-making:
- Work as part of a team, or independently when needed.
- Work is performed in accordance with established procedures and approved practices.
- Organization of work to accomplish goals is expected.
- Active listening, and probe for information to clarify requests.
- Use tact and discretion when discussing problems and eliciting sensitive or confidential information.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, business administration or experience in a related field preferred
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Negotiation skills
- Business intelligence skills
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Store discount
Working Conditions: Office environment
Reporting Structure: CEO, Senior Manager Operations
Base Salary: $60,000 plus bonus structure.
Veterinary Office Receptionist
The RAPS Animal Hospital, operated by the Regional Animal Protection Society, is a not-for-profit, state-of-the-art veterinary facility. We are motivated by our love of animals and the desire to save and improve as many lives as possible – not by profits. Join us and realize what making a true difference to our community means!
RAPS is recognized as the “Best Veterinarian Hospital”, “Best Community Organization”, Best “Local Heroes” and “Best Charity Business Leadership” awards that demonstrate we are a fantastic place to work. We have 6,000 sq. ft. of space and provide full services (most surgeries) and are a well-equipped hospital. RAPS Animal Hospital motto is “helping animals and their people.” We are an innovative group looking for creative ways to help everyone, including providing interest free payment plans and subsidized care. Please see our TV reality show called “Pets & Pickers” to learn more about us. We have B.C.’s only hyperbaric oxygen chamber for pets. We provide emergency transport and we do home euthanasia. We have Canada’s largest cat sanctuary providing our vets with hands on shelter medicine experience.
You will also join us in providing services to the general public – the revenue from which is reinvested in RAPS programs to do more good for more animals. That means your dedication not only helps the animals we care for directly, but supports homeless, abandoned and endangered animals throughout our region.
The RAPS Animal Hospital team, made up of deeply devoted, compassionate veterinarians, vet techs and vet office staff and supported by a powerful cadre of trained and equipped support volunteers, is proud of the individualized attention we provide to the animals and our parallel commitment to a respectful, balanced, gratifying and rewarding work environment.
Veterinary Reception Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of a Veterinary Receptionist is to assist our Veterinarians, Veterinary Technicians, Veterinary Office Assistants, the animals in our care as well as assist owners of pets brought to the Hospital. The Lead Veterinarian is the ultimate authority of the Hospital. Veterinary Receptionists report to the Hospital Manager and the most senior Veterinarian (DVM) on staff while on shift. To provide adequate care, responsibilities include but are not limited, to:
- Provide exceptional customer/ client care and representing RAPS in the most highly professional manner and demeanor at all times, in public and staff only areas of the hospital, on the phone and through electronic communication mediums.
- Assist with all front line public facing duties including reception
- Provide all required reception duties including:
- Answering phones
- Booking appointments
- Providing follow up to customers and clients
- Issuing invoices and taking payments
- Assisting customer and clients to waiting room or exam rooms
- Providing front line sales
- Taking donations from the public
- Assisting with mail and package deliveries
- All other front line reception duties as required
- Provide exceptional and professional staff interactions with staff cohorts at all times.
- Treat all volunteers and RAPS members with the highest respect.
- Greet patients and clients and their owners as they arrive, inquire the reasons for visit, and show them to an examining room
- Taking the animals’ vital signs including measuring the animals’ weight, blood pressure, breathing rate, etc.
- Prepare animals for testing by collecting their blood, urine, and tissue samples needed to carry out test for diagnosis. The veterinary assistant may also perform the testing under the veterinarian’s supervision. Testing includes blood, fecal, urine, and other subjects
- Provide patient restraint during procedures and examinations
- Provide assistance during radiology procedures which may include developing X-rays
- Feed, bathe and care for patients in our facility
- Clean the animal environment to ensure that it’s clean and danger free for the animals. This includes applying disinfectants to kill germs and bathing the animals to keep them clean
- Ensure the hospital is clean at all times, including all surfaces, floors, walls and equipment and public common areas.
- Clean and maintain the surgical room in preparation for procedures including sterilizing the surgical equipment to prevent contamination and disease transmission
- Prepare instruments and medications as directed by veterinary personnel
- Assist in administering medication to patients as prescribed by the veterinarian unless otherwise administered by a Vet Tech. Facilitate dispensing of medication
- Assist in post operation duties including observing and monitoring the patients to ensure that they are recuperating well and to report negative changes observed to the veterinarian
- Calm and soothe anxious patients
- Adhere to hospital’s safety and wellness regulations
- Make available drugs prescribed by the veterinarian to the patients and instruct animal owners on how to administer them to their animals at home
- Inform and educate clients on treatment, surgical procedures, and medication for their pets.
- Educate clients about our insurance, wellness and medicinal plans
- Provide answers and or resources to clients’ worries about their animals and general pet care. Direct clients to the veterinarian for further consultation
- Maintain clear, accurate medical records of all animals attended to at the clinic and answer all inquiries made by clients at the front desk
- Assist at reception whenever required to do so
- Assist with RAPS Society duties inside and outside the hospital as required
- Assist with the hospital retail centre including reception desk when required
- Assist with all duties assigned by the RAPS CEO or DVM on duty, based on the business imperatives of RAPS
- Reassignment of duties may be required based on the business imperatives of RAPS, which includes assisting the shelter, sanctuary, thrift store or administration offices
- Must be willing to work weekends and evenings as required
Although the job requires a great deal of collaboration with Veterinarians, Vet Techs, and Veterinary Assistants, the Veterinary Receptionists are expected to have initiative and to work independently in getting their job done.
Skills & Qualifications
Communication skills and interpersonal skills are especially important as Veterinary Receptionists interact act with many people including the veterinarian and hospital staff, office personnel, clients, volunteers, donors and vendors. The skills, knowledge and abilities mostly required to work as veterinary assistants include the following:
- Be passionate about animals
- Be passionate about RAPS
- Be patient and calm
- Be attentive to detail
- Be overly friendly to customers. Clients, patients
- Have good interpersonal and verbal communication skills to attend to visitors at the front desk and animal owners
- Using IDEXX Cornerstone practice-management / client software
- Great phone communication and customer services
- Attention to detail and follow up
- Microsoft office computer proficiencies
- A positive, constructive attitude
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $17.00-$21.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- 10 hour shifts x 4 days per week
- Weekends as needed
- Receptionist: 1 year (preferred)
- Customer Service: 1 year (required)