We have four dogs who need fostering and/or foster-to-adopt situations immediately.
As construction begins on the new City of Richmond Animal Shelter, the RAPS contract to operate the Shelter ends on January 31. Cats and small animals have been moved to the temporary RAPS Animal Shelter. But we need experienced dog people to take in four special dogs.
All of the dogs are large breeds and each has some range of reactivity to other dogs and/or people. Experienced large breed fosterers are the ideal candidates.
All expenses for the dogs (including veterinary care and food) will be covered by RAPS during the foster period. Foster families will be asked to bring the dog to veterinary appointments and meet-and-greets with potential adopters as required or RAPS will assist with picking up and returning the dog for these purposes.
We need homes that:
- Have large breed experience – preferably power/bully breed experience
- Ideally have reactivity experience to both dogs and new people
- That have calm/confident handlers that will set up structure and boundaries
- Have no small children – 16 years and up
- No other dogs
- No cats or small animals
Meet the dogs who need devoted homes:
- Blossom – who needs daily medications and weekly medicated baths
- Bumble – who will need a home that can help her recover from surgery as she will be having hind leg surgery to repair a torn ligament. She will need a home that will be able to keep her calm while recovering.
These are special dogs who are “diamonds in the rough”! In other jurisdictions, these dogs might have been euthanized. But at RAPS, we have a no-kill philosophy that allows these dogs to live out their lives in a proper home adoption setting. Read about each dog in our PetFinder page.
We need seven households to help us keep our no-kill promise to these wonderful animals.